Student Instructions for i-Human Virtual Simulation
NR326 Jamie Johanson
The following information is to be used in guiding your preparation and participation in the virtual simulation scenario for this course. This document will provide applicable course outcomes in preparation for your simulation.
19-year-old female is being admitted to behavioral health following failure in outpatient management of her anorexia nervosa.
1. Define the components of a comprehensive nursing assessment. (CO1, 7)
2. Explain the approach for a comprehensive nursing assessment for a teen with significant weight loss. (CO1, 2, 3)
3. Demonstrate an appropriate assessment for a teen with significant weight loss. (CO1, 2)
4. Distinguish between the treatment/interventions options for a teen with significant weight loss. (CO1, 2, 4)
5. Recommend appropriate treatment/interventions for a teen with significant weight loss. (CO1, 2, 4, 6, 7)
6. Design an appropriate care plan for a teen with significant weight loss. (CO1, 2, 4, 6, 7)
STUDENT ROLES DURING SIMULATION:
You are the staff nurse at the hospital who will be conducting a comprehensive assessment. After completing your assessment, you are expected to document your findings as a nurses note in SBAR format.
KEY FEATURES OF i-HUMAN:
· As the nurse, you are expected to complete the case scenario using the following tabs: EHR, History, Physical, Nursing Notes, Summary
· There are required questions and/or additional information provided related to this case. The questions, information, and videos must be completed/reviewed prior to progressing to the next tab.
· Nursing Notes: At the end of the simulation, you will document your assessment findings using ISBAR.
To preserve the educational value, integrity, and safety of the learning environment, you agree to maintain strict confidentiality about the proceedings of the simulation session, details of the training scenarios, and the performance of all participants. You acknowledge that this expectation aligns with the guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) as well as laws governing Protected Health Information (PHI) in client care environments. You will not view, discuss, share, record, or disclose any confidential information pertaining to the session. You understand that lapses in confidentiality are considered academic misconduct and could result in dismissal from the academic program.
You will suspend judgment of realism for any given simulation in exchange for the promise of learning new knowledge and skills, treating the simulated patients with the same care due an actual patient, act with a genuine desire to learn even when it may be difficult to do so.
The virtual simulation must be completed during
· Pre-simulation preparation: 30-60 minutes
· Pre-brief: 15 minutes
· Run Time: 2.75 hours
· Debriefing: 60 minutes
ASSESSMENT & EVALUATION
Faculty will utilize your participation measurements in the i-Human case, and debriefing discussions to identify areas of opportunity for enhancement of your clinical growth. Your experiences in i-Human will contribute to your overall completion of clinical requirements for the course as documented on the Clinical Learning Evaluation tool.
i-Human Evaluation What does my total score mean?
REVIEW AND COMPLETE PRIOR TO THE START OF THE VIRTUAL SIMULATION:
To prepare for the simulation, you are
required to complete the pre-simulation questions below and submit this prework to the faculty via uploading your Word document in Canvas prior to the start of the virtual simulation. If you do not complete the pre-simulation questions and upload them, you will
be able to access or participate in the simulation.
1. Create a list of assessment questions to ask a client admitted for an eating disorder.
2. Describe the expected findings/cues for a client diagnosed with anorexia nervosa (physical and mental cues)
3. What provider orders would a nurse expect for a client diagnosed with anorexia nervosa? (Include medications, diet, interventions, labs, and special instructions)
**Immediately following the completion of the virtual simulation, you will complete the evaluation of the simulation using the link provided.
©2023 Chamberlain University LLC. All rights reserved.
Chamberlain University | National Management Offices | 500 W. Monroe St., Suite 1300 | Chicago, IL 60661